Thursday, February 11, 2010

new work


This is the first in what I hope will be a series of interesting works. It is one ribbon cut from a sheet of mild steel, heated and twisted. It's still connected to the sheet at the bottom. Maneuvering gets tricky. It is rather beyond this point now. I discovered that it was not stiff enough to stand without welding, so I've been welding some of the curls together. As the first piece in a new technique, I'm discovering what happens as I go. I am already envisioning future possibilities. jc

4 comments:

  1. Way cool!!!! WOnce you have determined the stability index for the curls will you have motion in the finished pieces i.e. movement as the wind blow, etc.??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops. Thoughts ahead of hands = typo city.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't stop studying it. Can't wait to see how it progresses. By "tricky" do you mean laying in a good supply of band-aids? Seems like bending steel by hand could get a bit "colorful." Hey wait...bends steel with his bare hands.. are you...could it be? Can you jump over tall buildings in a single bound too?!!?? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shhh. Don't tell. I'm on the road now so I can't write much. iPhone typing is too slow. Will keep you apprised.

    ReplyDelete